In Kedah, 61 students from the Nurul Islam religious school were treated for inhaling sulfuric acid fumes following a spill, cops say

students from Sekolah Menengah Agama (SMA) Nurul Islam in Ayer Hitam near here have been treated in hospitals and clinics after inhaling sulfuric acid fumes after a spill during a an incident this morning.

Kubang Pasu District Police Chief Superintendent Rodzi Abu Hassan said the spill happened around 10.30am when three workers from a contracting company were moving around and transferring barrels of sulfuric acid expired.

“Following the spill, the wind had spread the vapors into a classroom where students were studying.

“A total of 61 students, ages 14 to 17, were sent to Jitra Hospital, Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital, Alor Setar Clinic and Ayer Hitam for treatment. They are all under observation and have received outpatient treatment,” he told reporters here today.

Quick action by school authorities, the fire and rescue service and officials from the Ministry of Health brought the situation under control.

Rodzi said most of the students had nausea and headaches, but all nine boys and 52 girls were in stable condition.

Meanwhile, Kedah Fire and Rescue Department Director Chief Fire Marshal Sayani Saidon said he received a distress call at 12:20 p.m. about the spill and a crew from the fire station Jitra Fire and Rescue was dispatched to the scene of the incident.

He added that the team finished cleaning up the chemical spill and venting work by 2:45 p.m. — Bernama

Comments are closed.