Kenya: University student leaders seek President Ruto’s intervention on HELB delays

Nairobi – Student leaders at the university have written to President William Ruto asking for his intervention on the delayed disbursements by the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB).

Kenya University Student Organization (KUSO) President Anthony Manyara said the blame game over the delay was between HELB and the Treasury with no solution in sight.

HELB has always maintained that the delayed release was not the making of the institution, explaining that the release of funds was indexed to Treasury disbursements.

“We are requesting that an intervention or directive be issued to settle the liability games between HELB and the Treasury, and fellows receive their loan disbursements to enable them to cover tuition and accommodation costs,” said Manyara.

KUSO lamented that thousands of students face uncertainty about their enrollment in subsequent academic sessions due to lack of funds to cover their tuition and accommodation fees.

“At this time, thousands of students are looking ahead with uncertainty following yet another delay by the Higher Education Loans Board, HELB, to release student loans and grants. “Manyara said.

This is not the first time that HELB disbursements have been delayed, it is almost the norm.

The HELB grants loans to students admitted to public and private universities as well as technical and professional establishments.

Government-sponsored students are funded by a capitation of 70,000 shillings which is paid directly to the universities and they are expected to cover other costs using the loan they get from Helb.

The government gives capitation based on the number of students and the cost of courses in the universities.

According to the model, the government should ideally bear 80% of the unit cost while the remaining 20% ​​is borne by students and institutions.

Comments are closed.